Five teenagers who were violently attacked by boda boda operators in Likoni on December 27, will be interrogated on Tuesday by police.
The attack led to the death of Michael Otieno, 18, who was part of the group of six.
The youths were accused of attempting to steal from a rider at around 11pm. The five were taken to Coast Provincial General Hospital on December 28.
That day, Saidi Omar, 18, and two others aged 15 and 16 were discharged and taken to Likoni police station. They were released two days later at 6pm.
Jafar Suleiman, 19, and another 14-year-old remained in hospital because their condition was critical.
Suleiman was discharged on December 29, and went home, Bombolulu.
The 14-year-old remained admitted for two weeks and was released on Friday. The five were to be arraigned on December 31 according to Likoni OCPD Benjamin Rotich but didn’t.
Rotich had said they will be charged with preparation to commit a felony. But he later cited ‘technicalities on the law’ as grounds for failure to charge them.
Rotich, however, said further investigation over theft claims is on.
“We shall still charge them,” he said. The Star is informed of racketeering claims leading to the release of the three from police custody.
A parent to one of the youths reported that Sh50,000 had been demanded. The parent later said Sh30,000 was paid to secure the boys’ freedom.